Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Home Sweet Home - Charles

We're back! After driving through the Cascade Mountains in the rain and fog, in pitch darkness and with one working headlight, I am more than euphoric to see the familiar Seattle skyline over the horizon. Even though it's pouring rain and a dense fog is covering much of the city, Seattle has never looked more beautiful in my eyes. It's good to finally be home.

Work is far from over, however! We have one more event Tuesday, May 10th at the Garfield Community Center, as well as a few more speaking engagements in the Seattle area. We also have an evaluation period with Mavin to hammer out any nicks so we can make potential subsequent Tours be even more successful. Maybe it's just me, but if I had to change one thing about this Tour it would be the opportunity to spend more time in all the cities that we visited.

It's hard for me right now to articulate all that I've learned and shared in the past five weeks, as I still haven't had the time to process all that has happened while embarking on this Tour. Questions about Generation MIX's influences, consequences, and aftereffects still linger in my head, and I don't think they can be answered until weeks, months into the future. I do hope that Generation MIX succeeded in their mission to jump start dialogue, in that people who came to our events would go back to their homes, sit around the dinner table, and begin the converation with, "Guess where I was today..." That will be totally worth it, to me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Josh Singh said...

Aaron, Geetha, Charles, Jaime, & Ashley:

My class met for the first time last night. We talked a lot about the five of you and Generation MIX. We all marveled at your dedication and hard work. Many students expressed amazement at the tour and that they had been talking about the tour with their friends.

On a personal note, I would like to express how proud I am to have been a part of this tour (Chicago). It was an honor to be a contributor to this historic tour. I felt 100% safe and secure and loved as a biracial person, which is not how I have always felt in my life. This event helped me to mourn the part of my life in which I did not know it was okay to claim both parts of my heritage.

Big UP to all of you and to MAVIN and to all of us hosts!!! Can't wait for the '06 tour!

Josh

May 10, 2005 7:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back !!!

May 10, 2005 8:25 AM

 
Anonymous Teana said...

Congrats on making it back and surviving Mad Max you guys! I really enjoyed meeting you all and wish you the very best. This tour was great idea...I only wish they started it sooner.

May 10, 2005 10:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home