Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Beginning of the End, or End of the Beginning? - Geetha

The tour has finally come full-circle, quite literally in fact. Somehow we made it back into Seattle without dying (although it was touch and go there for awhile, what with the food poisoning, overheating, and scary driving conditions on our last leg). We are now all settled back into our old digs at the wonderful Best Western and are running around Seattle like we never left. It feels rather surreal being in a city where I sort of know my way around and where the people are familiar. This morning we headed over to the MAVIN office like it was just another day of training. Did we really just spend the last five weeks sprinting around the country, or was it all a dream?

I have been flying through a whole range of emotions and I know it won’t slow down until long after I’m back home. Sometimes I can’t wait to get on that plane back to Michigan. I really miss my friends and family, not to mention the fact that I am ready to go back to having a normal life, or, at the very least, knowing what day it is and what state I’m in. On the other hand, I know that going home will mean leaving everything that has become a part of my life through this tour. When will the five of us crewmembers ever be together again? How will I stay involved in all this mixed race stuff? How can I keep in touch with all the people I’ve met along the way? I have had such an amazing experience and I don’t know if I’m ready for it to be over. I am constantly alternating between sadness, excitement, exhaustion, and laughing uncontrollably with my crewmates as we savor our last moments together.

The next week in Seattle will be spent exploring these feelings and figuring out where this will take us all. Processing this information and this experience is overwhelming, but it’s also very exciting. It’s definitely not the worst thing in the world to feel like I have too many options to choose from. And no matter what happens, even if I go back to my old life as if nothing ever happened, there is no question that this experience has changed me forever.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Teana said...

aww geetha! i can' wait to see you and hear about the rest of the trip. we'll have tons to talk about, especially with jenny too. have a safe trip back to a2 and i'll see you next thursday!

May 12, 2005 2:12 PM

 
Anonymous Erik said...

Thanks for helping pave the way for multiracial/mixed-heritage people everywhere... I know that you, Geetha, will help change the world for the better... To the other genmixers, thanks as well, you all are great

May 13, 2005 3:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss you geetha, hope to see you soon. -esl

May 13, 2005 9:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home