Thursday, May 19, 2005

Back Home - Geetha



I have been writing in this blog from all over the country, from Seattle to Boston and back again. But now for the first time I am writing in it sitting on my own couch in my own house. It definitely feels surreal. It's strange to think that yesterday morning I was in Seattle. It didn't even feel like it was the last day of the tour or that we were leaving each other--it's not like it was the first day that we had to wake up early, pack, and head out for a day of travel. But then instead of loadng everything into the RV, we loaded it into cars and drove only a few minutes to our destination. Even at the airport it all felt like just another day. We broke out the video camera, loaded pictures onto Charlie's computer, and talked about nothing in particular. But then it was time to leave.

Charlie was the first to leave because he dropped us off at the airport. Then one by one we went to each person's gate and the group dwindled until it was just me. I held back my tears until I was by myself, but it definitely hit me that this experience was really over, and that we would never be together again under the same kind of circumstances. All of a sudden, after not having a moment of "alone time" for two months, I was completely by myself. So what did I do? I called Charlie, the only person who wasn't on a plane and would be able to answer the phone. And later I called Ashley during my layover in Chicago. It's wierd how fast the five of us bonded. I remember during the first weekend in Seattle we went to a party and every five minutes looked around to make sure we knew where each other were. Now I don't know what to do with myself knowing that I'm not just feet from the other crewmembers, but miles. At least I can take comfort in the fact that they're stil just an email or a phone call away. Though the tour itself is officially over, it's clear that the friendships I've made and the experiences I've had will continue to affect me for qute awhile.

For now (of course this is me talking not even 24 hours after leaving Seattle), I'm readjusting to being back at home. It was wierd last night to fall asleep in a room by myself (and my own bed, no less), I woke up and didn't have to call the boys' room to make sure they're up, and I've been driving around without asking my passenger if it's safe to change lanes. I have a new appreciation for how smoothly and quietly my little Ford Focus drives. I'm thrilled to be home with my friends and family, but at the same time I'm missing the people and the experience I've just left.

Now is when the processing begins. It's hard to figure out what an experience mean when you're still in the middle of it. It's looking like we'll be keeping up this blog for awhile. It will be interesting to see how I feel about all this tomorrow, in a week, or in a month. I'm looking forward to seeing where this all takes me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Tim Dutta said...

Geetha,

It was a pleasure meeting you and the crew at Riverside Park in New York. I want to thank everyone on the crew for making the journey. It was really good to see the passion in all your eyes during this journey. Everyone at matchpia.org are proud of your representation from the South Asian Community, let alone all the other crewmembers' representing all the other ethinically diverse communities.

I hope you all retain the true bonding of your friendship, while you continue to bring further awareness and diversity in our world.

June 06, 2005 3:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home