Friday, April 22, 2005

A Visit To See The Fam - Ashley



While in North Carolina, I was able to stop by and make a quick visit to my old man. It was great to see him. Since he lives on the East Coast (far, far away from Boise, Idaho), I am not able to visit him as much as I would like to. Along with seeing my father, I got to visit with my three wonderful little brothers, Anthony- almost 13, Isaac- just turned 10, and the littlest one, Tristan- 4years old, excited to see his big sister and attached to my hip all night long. Even though he’s young, the boy (Tristan) can play some Dragon Ball Z though, he’s ruthless, even though I was playing as a beginner, there is no mercy playing with him.

Now, my little bros are not mixed, but growing up, it has never been a question of why we look so different, or why we have different skin tones. Oh, I’m sure they were curious and would ask my father when I was not there, but it has always been like, “we’ll she’s my sister and that’s all that matters” kind of attitude. Yeah, when I was younger, I would walk around with my father, step-mom, and little brothers, and of course, we would stick out. It was like “well who’s that?” and I did get the usual “well, are you adopted or something?” questions. I think that a lot.of people of mixed race come face to face with that question many a times. I know when I did get the adoption question, it would make me think like ‘well, how can they not tell that this is my father?’.

Yesterday, while at the store with my papa, I noticed that again people were staring. I told my dad this and he was like “they’re not staring”. And you know what, I was thinking about it later and I shouldn’t care what other people are thinking. He is my father, and I know that. People can choose to make whatever assumptions they want.

People make these assumptions, partially because they put me into the racial category of what they see me as, which is white. I feel that people put me in this monoracial box because it is to complicated to identify people as being more than one race. Personally, I choose to identify as both African-American and Irish/Swiss. I am proud of both of my heritages, I always have been, and I always will.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's right, you tell em!

April 22, 2005 4:52 PM

 
Anonymous Teana said...

awwww, you look like your dad! That's soo special ;) glad to hear you guys survived the south and made it up to dc...way to go!

April 22, 2005 9:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ashley!
it's good to hear from you. i missed your posts so please write more often! :-)

April 23, 2005 8:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you guys look DEFINITELY alike, girlie!

great to read your posts, always enjoy them!

April 26, 2005 1:06 PM

 
Blogger blogger1272 said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a penis enlargement reviews site. It pretty much covers penis enlargement reviews related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 06, 2005 6:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home