Monday, April 04, 2005

University of Washington - Charles

It's been a long, tiring day and I cannot wait to go to sleep. Here are some pictures of today's kick-off event at the University of Washington; I'll post some more thoughts tomorrow when I get the time and energy. Time to go pack for the road!



We had to get up very early yesterday morning – 5 o’clock to be exact – and given the fact that daylight savings time was this past weekend, to us it felt like getting up at 4 o’clock. KONG TV wanted to film some teasers for their Seattle Live show that morning, and they were going to incorporate the clips with interviews from Ashley and myself.

The press conference went by very quickly; I was stammering in the beginning, but by the time I was talking about my personal stories it got a lot easier.



The activity event attracted a lot of attention; we were able to speak with many people, a lot of them not familiar with mixed race issues but left a little more enlightened.



Ashley manning with what must be the prettiest booth for Generation MIX.



miXed - University of Washington's multiracial student group.



Aaron registering for the National Marrow Donor Program Registry. Please visit the MatchMaker site to find more information as to how you can help contribute!



miXed volunteers working the Student booth.



Ashley, Geetha, and Generation MIX Project Manager Marinda all pose for the camera after a very long day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Kay said...

You all did a great job at the keynote presentation today! I sensed everyone was a bit nervous at first (as would anybody be in your position), but you guys definitely pulled it off. Good luck on the rest of the trip! By the way, cool t-shirts.

April 05, 2005 12:19 AM

 
Anonymous Jenny Skytta said...

I just wanted to let you know this is really amazing what you're doing. I'm half Mexican / Half German 20 something, and growing up in Caldwell Idaho, I was given hell for it. There is such racial hatred in that area, and I was constantly asked to pick a side. Of course I never did and suffered the consequences.
I'm so sick of hearing, "What are you".
Its actually so prevalent, last week a woman asked me at the bus stop, here in Seattle.
I can understand wanting to know of new cultures, but just asking someone what they are, as if they're some kind of freak needs to be addressed. There is still so much hatred for ethnicity. Many times, when I tell people what I am, they say, "Oh... well you... at least you can pass for Italian". what the heLL?? I don't want to pass for anything. I really don't concern myself with what they think; its just constantly shoved in my face.
I've been told my intelligence is because of my father's side and that "mexicans are lazy" but I'm not because "you're half white".
People are still sooooooo ignorant and prejudiced.
Well, I'm ranting...
I applaud all of you.
Good Luck

April 05, 2005 12:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really support this tour but I do wish that your organization would tour cities that really need you to open their eyes. I am part black and part mexican and from Dallas, Texas. Sure Austin is known for being open minded and just a great place to live but what about the cities like Houston and Dallas who although large still have the awful southern mentality. I support all of you all the way but next time think of the rest of us who would love some awareness in our city too

April 05, 2005 1:18 PM

 
Blogger Generation MIX said...

Hey Anonymous,

Thanks for your support with this tour! We definitely agree that we would like to visit more cities, including ones where being mixed is not as common or not as accepted. Unfortunately we only have so much time. Pitstop cities were also based on having host organizations who can work on the event in their area.

The good news is that we plan for Generation MIX tours to happen more than once. We definitely plan that future tours will reach new and different cities--there are a lot of places we just can't make it to this year, as much as we'd like to. Please keep following us and MAVIN Foundation and maybe in the future a group you're working with in Dallas or Houston could host an event!

April 05, 2005 10:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home