Sunday, April 24, 2005

Rocking the Capital - Geetha



Wow! This weekend has been quite the whirlwind of excitement. Yesterday we were in College Park for an activity fair with the MBSA (Multiracial Biracial Student Association) at the University of Maryland. I was very impressed with this group—they have so many events and activities they do. I was also really impressed with the size and diversity of the group. There were people of all different mixes, and also some monoracial people. I had an interesting conversation with one of the monoracial students about what kinds of things he’s gotten out of being a part of this group. It seems like MBSA is really thriving as an organization.

Today was a big day as well. We had the honor of speaking at the Smithsonian and becoming a part of “America’s attic.” There was a great turnout, and I enjoyed the fact that the audience included a mix of people of all ages. I was especially pleased that we had some familiar faces in the audience—Ashley’s grandmother was there, and a few of my friends came as well. There were a lot of interesting questions, including a few that really stumped us. Now that we have more time to think about them, we will try to address them in the blog.

Also exciting today was that the New York Times ran an article about us! It was very unreal to see my name being the first words in an article in my favorite section of my favorite newspaper. Of course there are always criticisms when you see your name and your quotes in print, but overall I personally thought it was a really good article. I hope that people reading it got something out of it and understand that the mixed race experience is quite multifaceted.

This weekend kicks off the most jam-packed week of our tour. Tomorrow Philadelphia, New York on Tuesday, then Boston, then an overnight drive back to DC for an interview with Senator Obama. I cannot even begin to describe how excited we are. Six months ago I never could have imagined that I would be on a cross country road trip, written about in a New York Times article, and getting to meet one of my own personal heroes.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your NY Times article was awesome!!! It always seems more real when your name is in print. You guys are famous! Can't wait to meet you all when you swing through Ann Arbor....

Jen

PS. Geetha, Scurvy is waiting patiently for you on the big couch. I read him your postcards.

April 25, 2005 10:54 AM

 
Anonymous Teana said...

I got my own copy of the Times...best 5 bucks I ever spent! Can't wait to see you when I get back to ann arbor...

April 25, 2005 2:24 PM

 
Anonymous kelly said...

eii geetha, nice article. psh they didn't use me, i see how it is lol~
mix meeting up in ur blog. swipe me a t-shirt =D

April 25, 2005 2:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NYT was great!

And OBAMA!!!! Dang!!

Solidarity! You are all doing great things!

Waiting for your return in the great Northwet!!

April 25, 2005 5:20 PM

 
Anonymous Rachel said...

Teehee, that's a cute pic. :)

Thanks for stopping in College Park! It was a pleasure meeting all of you.

~Rachel

April 25, 2005 10:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geetha you look and read like you are having a fabulous time! Loved the NYTimes article; must be surreal to be so extensively quoted. We miss you; your AG kids swept. :) Keep rocking!

April 26, 2005 8:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home