Monday, April 25, 2005

Captain's Log: April 25 - Aaron











Maryland Saturday, D.C. Sunday, Philadelphia today (Monday), New York tomorrow, Boston Wednesday. Events in each city. Days flying by in a whirlwind of commotion. Interviews with national radio and speeches in front of the Smithsonian. In another time and life, I would have been fazed by such a schedule. Now it just seems routine.

Last night I had a chance to hang out with my friend Meredith from Morgantown after eating dinner with my aunt Ruth. Right now I’m at my Uncle Cliff’s house in Philadelphia. Sitting in a regular house and eating a home-cooked meal seemed alien to me after a month and a half on the road.

I’ve come to realize that this trip is far from any reality I have ever known. It is going to take months for me to digest all the things I have witnessed on this trip. We have traveled the gauntlet of this American continent in an effort to create a cohesive mixed race community and start a national dialogue. During this gigantic road trip I have met with mixed leaders across the country and talked about a mosaic of topics. I think that many of these things will stick with me for the rest of my life, even if it is too much for me to process right now. The personal stories that I hear in each city stick with me and remind me why I joined this endeavor in the first place.

Being mixed in the United States is definitely difficult. But I’ve come to find that it is also a gift. The people I have met in the host organizations and at the events are some of the most unique and interesting company I’ve ever kept. Their stories of overcoming adversity are steadily becoming a great source of personal strength.

The issues that we are attempting to overcome are very difficult to deal with. They are even hard to explain to somebody who not either mixed or in some sort of inter-racial relationship. It’s hard to explain why exactly I left my regular life behind for 2 months to go on this wild journey.

From the beginning of American history, people have been speaking on account of mixed race individuals. Whether it is the government, the racial hierarchy, or other communities of color, it doesn’t make a difference. One look at any government publication dealing with the issue (which I have done for numerous thesis papers), and it is easy to see that when other people look at mixed race from the outside, the result is going to be biased. No matter what is in store for the mixed-race community, it is important that we have a voice of our own.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe each of you could pick one or two people you have met on the trip so far - give a little background on the person and how they may have inspired you or challenged you in a new way ... or helped you to see the world in a different way ...

April 26, 2005 8:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Son you have made mine, and your mom's family very proud. We always know that you would do great things, and you have. Your sister says she is also proud, and that is something!!Best of luck, and hope to see you soon.

April 26, 2005 12:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I love all of the entries and this blog is amazing!

Especially this post touched me. I'm sorry to have missed you guys in NYC today. MAD BUSY at work... but I know you were out there inspiring and making us all proud to know (of) you! thanks!

April 26, 2005 1:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Aaron,
Yer cute. Looks like you're having an awesome time. Hope the remainder of your trip goes well. We miss your face here in WV. Later.

April 27, 2005 9:32 AM

 
Anonymous Teana said...

You guys are definitely doing your part to give us mixed folks a voice in the world. Everytime I read the blog it makes me wish I really did steal aboard when you guys were in San Fran. Oh well, I'll live vicariously through this. You have fun now.

April 27, 2005 10:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a real nice post. you're amazing ;)

April 28, 2005 1:10 PM

 
Anonymous Meredith said...

It was great seeing you this past weekend. It was like old Mo-Town times. You shouldn't be suprised with the problems with Mad Max... Remember all your car probs in Mo-Town??? Anyway, have fun on the rest of the tour. Be safe and I'll see you soon.

April 30, 2005 12:31 AM

 
Blogger Generation MIX said...

thanx merideth. Now everyone can see my touch of death when it comes to cars. Actually everything i touch that is mechanical breaks. I have no idea why. When we were at Geetha's house I droped her bird, and I definatly thought I killed her. But it walked it off.

Thanx everyone else who left messages on my blog. I thought for a long time that no one was replying cuz i was the most unpopular crew member. much love and respect.

May 02, 2005 7:39 PM

 
Blogger Blog World said...

i was just browsing through the blog world searching for the keyword posters and it brought me to your site. You have a great site however it is not exactly what i was looking for. Good luck on your site.

November 19, 2005 11:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home