Friday, April 15, 2005

Austin Massachusetts - Aaron



So right now we're in Austin Texas. We're meeting with members of Neopolitan tomorrow for dinner. You have to give them props on the name, that is original.

I'm not sure if my last blog came up. I wrote it from the shady hotel in Van Horn Texas when our RV broke down. I was basically asking for advice from people who were mixed, but did not have any white blood in their veins. We have been getting a lot of questions about issues relevant to people who are "double minorities" (for lack of a better word), but I really do not know how to answer them. The reality is that, with the exception of Charlie, we are all half white. So if anyone out there has any stories to share with us, please do not hesitate to post a response to this blog. Your advice would be helpful.

Another area we have been getting a lot of questions from is the whole why are you doing this thing. I know that Jamie touched upon this earlier in a previous blog. It seems that Mavin is about the whole identity confirmation thing, but a lot of people are asking what comes next. Right now it seems that the movement is just trying to create space in which mixed people can own to an identity and not be labeled according to other people's perceptions.

But once we get past the whole identity thing, where will this movement take us? I feel that it is not enough for us to just have a place amongst other ethnic groups to call our own. I know personally that I came on this mission to legitimise mixed people's presence within the black community. I know that often times it is seen that mixed African Americans (especially people who are half white) are seen as "sell outs" in the eyes of many people within that community.
While I cannot say where this movement is headed, I do think that we have a right to be heard. I think it is important for me to point out that I cannot speak for anyone but myself. But I feel that whatever our message is, it is important for us to say it as a group and not allow other people to speak for us.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Gabby said...

wow! this is a really awesome idea! my sister and I are african american, portuguese,and filippino, how awesome for biracial kids to be able to relate with eachother! like i said, what a great idea!

April 25, 2005 9:33 PM

 
Blogger Blog World said...

i was just browsing through the blog world searching for the keyword posters and it brought me to your site. You have a great site however it is not exactly what i was looking for. Good luck on your site.

November 19, 2005 11:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home