Monday, March 28, 2005

Introductions - Geetha



Hi Everyone!

I'm Geetha, the Operations Coordinator for the Generation MIX National Awareness Tour. I'm from Ann Arbor, Michigan. I grew up there, attended the University of Michigan, and now work in Ann Arbor at a local nonprofit. I'm thrilled to be a part of this tour because I think it will be an exciting opportunity for both myself and the people we reach.

We have finished our first week of training and I am having a wonderful time. This is my first visit to Seattle, and I am already falling in love with the city. Everyone keeps saying how cold it is here, but compared to Michigan weather, this is balmy.

Our training workshops have been intense, but also quite informative and interesting. So far I have learned everything from setting up eye-pleasing shots for a documentary, to working with media, to navigating the Seattle bus system. Of course we have spent a lot of time focused on mixed race issues, which I have really enjoyed. Since graduating from college I haven't had as many opportunities to be involved with the mixed race community or even to discuss issues of race, so it's refreshing to be in a situation where others are open and willing to talk about race and mixed race experiences. I have really enjoyed conversations with the other crewmembers and the MAVIN staff because we are from all over the country, and it's very interesting to learn about how race and being multiracial is perceived and played out in other areas of the USA. I am really looking forward to the ways in which each new stop along the tour will have its own unique personality and the people will have new stories to tell and learn from. I hope that others can learn from my experiences and opinions as well.

It is overwhelming to think about all we've done in the past week--and all that we still have to do! We still have to finish working out our keynote presentation, learn first aid and CPR, practice driving the RV (my biggest fear), and of course find some time to sleep. Thanks for reading our blog, and we'll defnitely keep you posted with regular updates along the way.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Cousin!
It looks like you and your colleagues are off to a great start. Best wishes on the rest of your training-especially the RV driving. I imagnie that our grandparents have endowed you with some natural abilities in that area, though I'd recommend avoiding their penchant for off-roading. ;) Happy trails! I'm looking forward to following the progress of your tour!
Heather

March 29, 2005 6:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Geetha.

I'm so jealous of your Seattle locale, but finally, it's a beautiful sunny day in Ann Arbor. It's way too quiet in the office without you!
Live it up! - Melissa

March 30, 2005 9:54 AM

 
Anonymous Beth Platt said...

Emerson is rooting for you, Geetha! I love the great pictures you're getting, I hope to see more.

--Beth

March 30, 2005 1:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey luv!
omg, I can't believe you're gone already exploring the world (well at least some unitedstatesian cityscape). You know I'm jealous. Spread the mixed love!
~ Erik

April 03, 2005 4:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home