Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Introductions - Ashley


Hello Everyone!
My name is Ashley and I am from good 'ole Boise, Idaho, born in Lewiston, ID and raised in B-town (Boise). It was an awesome place to grow up and live. There is a really tight sense of community and a lot of things to do if your the outdoorsy type. (I really like to ski, hike, camp, all that good stuff!)

I am currently enrolled at the University of Colorado in Boulder. They have a program called the time out program where you can take a year off, but still be officially enrolled, so thats what I'm doing, taking a year off and that is how I was able to be a part of Generation MIX. I am double majoring in International Affairs and Ethnic Studies with an emphasis on African-American Studies and South Africa. I was part of a multiracial, multiethnic, transracially adopted group called Mosaic back at CU.

So yeah, I am one of the five crew members embarking on this great adventure, raising awareness on mixed race issues across the U.S. (in a 26 foot RV). We haven't seen the RV yet so I have yet to have a comment on it, but I bet it looks great. I feel that this will be a great experience for us all. I am excited to raise awareness on an issue that is not always adressed.

As you can tell by our photos that we are having a grand ole time in Seattle. It is the first time I have ever been here and so far the city has not let me down. Yet it has been REALLY rainy this past week and I am definitely not used to that. Although we are hard at work everyday trying to prepare for the tour, we still find time to enjoy ourselves and go play. A lot of work is being put forth to make this tour possible and we all greatly appreciate all the time and energy that others are giving to make this tour possible.

I am so excited to get on the road (even though none of us have experience driving an RV, I'm sure we'll be fine). My crew members are great. We get along really well and it is interesting because we all have very different personalities and backgrounds but its cool because this is what makes us complement each other really well.

So I have to get back to work but don't worry, I'll be back soon:)

see ya,
Ash

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashley and all of you,
You talk about being different personalities and you certainly have different backgrounds. Does the fact that you are all of mixed race offer you some commonalitiy? What do you find that you all have in common? What are things that make you more different than alike? Do you think that there is a common bond between all people who are of mixed race, despite all the other cultural, experiential differences?
Good luck to you all. I think it is wonderful what you are doing.

April 01, 2005 6:32 AM

 
Blogger Generation MIX said...

Thanks for commenting!
Well from my point of view, being of mixed race does give us all a commonality. We can all relate with one anothers experiences and compare, talk about them, and understand where each other is coming from. Which is great because for me, growing up I didn't really have anyone to talk to about mixed issues (except my mother). What we all have in common is that we are all striving to make a difference for the multi-racial community (amongst other things like music, TV shows like Arrested Development, and movies:). We all bring to the table our individual/personal goals also which makes us very different in that not only are we striving for the main goals that the tour is representing but also for our own personal gain in some way. I believe that there is a common bond between all people of mixed race, really because we can all relate to each other on some level and understand one another despite the differences.
Thank you for your support,
Ashley

April 02, 2005 3:18 PM

 
Blogger Generation MIX said...

Thank you for such an interesting comment! I definitely think that being mixed plays out differently for each of us (just like being any identity), but there are a lot of common experiences we have-- everything from being asked "What are you" to feeling excluded from certain groups. In our conversations, there have been a lot of "Yes! Exactly!" moments.
At you pointed out, we also have a lot of differences. Where we grew up has turned out to be a huge factor, as being mixed is more accepted or common in different parts of the country. Other important differences include what we're mixed with and what we look like. A lot of my experiences are unique specifically because I am Indian and White and have dark skin.
Thank you for your interesting questions and your words of support! I hope you have the opportunity to come to one of our events!
-Geetha

April 03, 2005 7:45 PM

 
Blogger blogger1272 said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a penis enlargement reviews site. It pretty much covers penis enlargement reviews related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 06, 2005 6:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home