Monday, March 28, 2005

Introductions - Aaron



So.... my name is Aaron. I come from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania (go Steelers!). I am African American, Irish, Creek Indian, and German. Right now I am a student at West Virginia University in Morgantown, just on the other side of the PA border. The ethnic make-up back home is a lot different than what I've seen so far in Seattle. The Asian community is a lot more predominant here. It is an eye-opening experience for me to see what issues we have in common the Hapa youth.

This tour is my first real experience in dealing with issues concerning race. I have never been involved in any type of activism the way the other crew members have. It is cool to finally talk with people who kind of know where I'm coming from.

I'm looking forward to travelling around the country. Before this trip, the farthest west I'd ever travelled had been to Cleveland. I look forward to sharing stories with people who are similar to me in different parts of the country. The populations of the mixed race people in any given area is a cool indicator of the ethnic migrations that have taken place to bring certain people together.

So far we've been pretty busy doing training and what-not, so at this point I'm just looking forward to hitting the open road. I'm all about road trips, and spending two years on the WVU DII Platinum Ice Hockey team has taught me a lot about travelling across this nation in over-sized automobiles in rock-star fashion. I hope the others in the group are ready for the challenge.

I hope that once we start moving, the apprehension about not messing up these lectures we're going to be giving will ease off a little bit. Our schedule is a little hectic, but I look forward to seeing a lot of new things along the way.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on your trip. Many good times.

April 01, 2005 8:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE know that the crewmembers will
do a good job on the trip! GOOD
LUCK PLUM SR HIGH

April 05, 2005 8:43 AM

 
Blogger Generation MIX said...

MUSTANGS!!

Purple People Eaters

May 13, 2005 12:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home